We're Home, Minus One
I'll start with an update on Nathan. He is doing fantastic & was moved down to the level II NICU yesterday afternoon, just as Alexa was moved into the general nursery. He continues to improve! He no longer needs help breathing. He still breathes too quickly sometimes but has done well enough to have all of his feedings last night & today through a bottle! He is a good eater & it was fun to feed him & burp him. He still has his feeding tube in just in case it's time for a feeding & his breathing is too erratic to do a bottle. He is still in an isolette by they are slowly lowering the temperature to see if he can maintain his body temperature. He's doing well so far. It's currently at 31 degrees Celsius (87.8 degrees Fahrenheit). He has too keep his body temp above 87.7 to be able to go home. The Neo-doc that saw him today thinks he should be home sometime next week! It was really difficult to leave him today & go home. While we're really excited to have Alexa home, it's just not the same experience as it would be taking them both. I got to put her in her cute little "going home outfit" but his matching one is still in the bag. It breaks my heart every time I think about it. Here are some pictures of our Nathan from this morning. He is so handsome & sweet & I miss him like crazy. I can't wait to bring him home!
It was so fun having Alexa in my hospital room. I dressed her in jammies from Grandma Marie. Aunt Jennie Jo even got to meet her! I did send her to the nursery for the night so I could spend time with Nathan as well as get a couple hours of sleep.
When they brought her to me this morning, I got her all dressed & ready to go home!
I came in first while Sam hung back with her so I could greet Roxy & Pepper. Then Sam brought her in & set her car seat on the floor. The dogs sniffed around & seemed very interested in their new sister! Later on when I had put Alexa down in her pack-n-play to sleep, we caught Pepper up on our bed just staring at her. We have since discovered that Pepper wants to be wherever Alexa is. She doesn't bother her, just sits there. It's so cute! Things have been going well with managing feeding, pumping & staring at our beautiful daughter! Grandma Marie is here for the month & Aunt Marianne came over for a visit, as well as Grandma Joan & Aunt Jennie Jo. Gavin & Spencer (her cousins) were able to look at her through the front window. Spencer said, "Her head is only this big!" and held up a small circle with his hands.
I just can't believe we have this tiny, perfect 4 lbs. 4 oz. baby at home! The only thing that would make this more perfect is when her big brother can join us. Oh, & when I stop feeling like my stomach is ripping apart. Gotta love the healing process... thank goodness for drugs!
It was so fun having Alexa in my hospital room. I dressed her in jammies from Grandma Marie. Aunt Jennie Jo even got to meet her! I did send her to the nursery for the night so I could spend time with Nathan as well as get a couple hours of sleep.
When they brought her to me this morning, I got her all dressed & ready to go home!
I came in first while Sam hung back with her so I could greet Roxy & Pepper. Then Sam brought her in & set her car seat on the floor. The dogs sniffed around & seemed very interested in their new sister! Later on when I had put Alexa down in her pack-n-play to sleep, we caught Pepper up on our bed just staring at her. We have since discovered that Pepper wants to be wherever Alexa is. She doesn't bother her, just sits there. It's so cute! Things have been going well with managing feeding, pumping & staring at our beautiful daughter! Grandma Marie is here for the month & Aunt Marianne came over for a visit, as well as Grandma Joan & Aunt Jennie Jo. Gavin & Spencer (her cousins) were able to look at her through the front window. Spencer said, "Her head is only this big!" and held up a small circle with his hands.
I just can't believe we have this tiny, perfect 4 lbs. 4 oz. baby at home! The only thing that would make this more perfect is when her big brother can join us. Oh, & when I stop feeling like my stomach is ripping apart. Gotta love the healing process... thank goodness for drugs!
Comments
Let us know when you are up for visitors. I am ready for my all night shift!! :)