New pictures of Nathan & update on Alexa

Just as we had hoped, Sam & I got to hold Nathan for the first time last night. His wonderful nurse waited for us to get there to take him out of his warming bed, change him into his clothes (bought by Grandma Marie!) & then we got to hold him. It was wonderful & so healing for me because I had a really rough afternoon. We are able to hold him 3 times a day. Since he's in an isolette now, it's hard to get him out & he needs to maintain his body temperature so he can move to an open crib soon. I did get to go hold him again by myself at about 1 am for about an hour. He gets very agitated when people mess with his sleep (sound like anyone? Sam maybe?) but settled right down as soon as he was in my arms. It was nice to hold him for so long because earlier, we only were able to be there for a few minutes because Alexa needed us. Her temperature had dropped pretty low & they couldn't warm her up. Her neonatologist thankfully asked the nurses to wait on putting her in an isolette or warming bed (which would have been a major step backwards) & allow me to try to hold her skin-to-skin to warm her up. So although it cut our time with Nathan short, the plan worked & she warmed right up. She has been able to maintain her warmth since then (I just saw her at 5 am) & her nurse thinks she's ready to be moved out of the NICU!

I should be going home tomorrow morning with Alexa. Going home does not mean out of the clear for her. She is still under 5 lbs. & we'll have to be very careful about her temperature as well as over stimulating her. For this reason, we're still asking for no visitors. If she gets too tired, she doesn't eat & that could put her back in the NICU. We don't want that!

Then comes the hard part... leaving Alexa to be with Nathan, then leaving Nathan in the NICU while I go home. But I know he's improving every day & will be home soon! And thankfully we have Grandmas & Aunts to help with Alexa! Before we know it, this NICU thing will be all in the past!

Oh, P.S. I lied... Nathan does not have a C-Pap. We were misinformed. I can't remember what he has but it's not that... It won't matter to most of you but some of you medical people are probably thinking I'm a bad mom & don't know about my own baby! Sorry! :)

P.P.S. Ok, I keep adding to this post... my mom just emailed me these pictures of Nathan that the nurse took when she took his tube out. It's the only pictures we have of him with no tubes. It's not great quality but here he is, crazy hair and all!

Comments

Yes, no visitors! You go girl. Do you want me to be your babies body guard and stand at the door? I'm not sure if they will give you the neosure preemie formula but if you happen to need any, I have some. They will give you some to take home if they put them on that but if you need more, please take mine! Also, you get to clean our your babies cabinets/shelf when you go home. Make sure to do so...diapers, formula, thermometer, bandages for the oxygen, nose plung thingy, etc. Take it all and ask for more! :)
Pops Stargell said…
We're loving the updates and all the pics. Thanks for being so good about posting. Wish we had blogs way back when we had babies born. That would've saved a lot of phone calls and emails. Oh to be young again.

Annalee - what flavor formula do you have? If Alisha doesn't want it, maybe I'll take it. I'm looking to bulk up a little.
Anonymous said…
That one made me get all teary. I am so happy that you got to hold Nathan!! He is just adorable! I am also so excited that Alexa gets to come home with you...that is great news! Let us know when you and the babies are up for visitors & please let me know if you need anything.
Love ya bunches! you are already an amazing mom! Hang in there... it gets much better!!
Our Family said…
Congratulations Sam and Alisha! I'm so glad to hear that everything went well, that the babies are doing well, and that you're recovering from your C-sxn Lish! Your babies are adorable, I can't wait to see more pix! Keep them coming!
Krystal said…
Congratulations! I'm so thrilled for you to be a new mama, Alisha! The babies are as beautiful as their names.
I love the no tubes pic, doesn't that just melt your heart? I remember when we got our first pic of Kylee without the tubes. I never even realized I hadn't seen her face. He is just so handsome, can Kylee have him? And are you pumping while posting? Are you a multi tasker? I'm pumping right now, lol.
Debi said…
Alisha! Congratulations on your beautiful babies! Lindsi has been updating me, but I just had to see all the pictures. they are darling little babies! I'm glad everything has gone so well and hope they continue to. You and your family have and will continue to be in my prayers!
Debi (Layton) Youngs
The Oldroyd's said…
That is great. It is nice to see Nathan with out tubes. Susan and I were looking at the pictures with Sam holding him and he really looks a lot like Sam. I am glad things are going well. We wish you the best. Wish we could be closer to help you out.
Trenda said…
I'm glad things are looking up, although it is still hard! Oh, and if I remember correctly, I think a certain someone had a hard time when her sleep was interupted as well! :)
Rachelle said…
oh man! it has taken me forever to see this. i was at kelly's cabin without phone or internet use. so...

CONGRATS AGAIN! your babies are BEAUTIFUL! love the names! i am glad that your little nathan is doing better. and how cute is alexa.

take care. talk soon. hope you are doing well. :)
Krissee said…
Your babies are so beautiful! I'm sorry for what you all are going through but I'm sure it will all be over soon and you will have your two precious babies home with you. Your family is in our prayers and thoughts.
Yes I have to agree with Trenda I have pics of you with a sleeping mask on I could post it if you need. ;) I am glad your babies are doing so well. I don't think I will be allowed to read your blog until after my baby is born because I need a tissue every time I read your blog.
I am so happy for you your little ones are beautiful.
Natalee said…
The babies are so beautiful. We will pray that they will continue to grow stronger and stronger. In 18 years when they are huge it will be hard to believe that they ever were so tiny.
Stefani said…
i love your blog. seriously where do you find time to update?!! im so excited for your new little family, the babies are adorable! i'll be thinking of you, im sure you'll be feeling like a zombie for a few weeks, i can't imagine TWO babies!!! what a joy.

stefani (durtschi) evans
Yay yay for you guys and your darling babies! Congratulations on your new additions. Hopefully you'll all be home together soon. Great job keeping them in the oven so long! -Alison
Jennifer said…
I really appreciate how you keep us all updated - it's amazing. I think you really did get a tiny Sam and a tiny Alisha! You are a great great mom; congratulations again. We'll be praying for your family. Just post when you want food or visitors or anything like that! Love, the Ruggles
They are such amazing looking babies! We will keep you guys in our prayers!!!
Laurie said…
isn't modern medicine a blessing! i'm so happy that all of you are getting taken care of so well, and that the nurses sneak pictures. we'll keep you in our prayers and can't wait til all of you are home and we can come visit. nathan mckay and alexa dawn are beautiful names. we love ya'll.
Talk about going the extra mile---a camera toting nurse. I think Nathan looks a lot like Alisha!!

Popular posts from this blog

Play Date

Introducing...