REALLY LONG POST...

Nathan & Alexa are growing like weeds! Here is a cute video I took of them this morning. They are so much fun!


Many of you have asked if I'm getting any sleep, if I'm completely exhausted, etc... Well there are many answers to that. The short answer is that I'm actually getting more sleep than a mother of 3 1/2 week old twins should. Don't get me wrong... it's not much but it's enough to keep me going. I'm not even a zombie most of the time. Want to know my secret? Are you sure? It's *gasp* keeping them on a schedule! And I even *double gasp* wake sleeping babies to eat! Now I must admit, I had a head start because they came home on a 3 hour schedule because of the NICU but "parent directed feeding" rather than "demand feeding" was the plan anyhow. We eat, have wake time for up to an hour, than lay down for a nap until time for the next feeding. No wake time in the middle of the night, of course... & I actually have stopped waking them to eat at night since they're full-term age & so they do four hour stretches. To be honest, I have almost never had to wake both of them. If it's time to eat, 90% of the time, one of them will start waking up on their own right on time. My "schedule" is primarily based on the somewhat controversial book, "On Becoming Babywise" although there are a few things I don't use. If you've ever heard bad things about "Babywise," I would just say, "Don't knock it till you try it." It doesn't encourage craziness & rigidity. It encourages scheduling with flexibility when needed.

Here's the bonus: babies that will sleep 8 hours by 9 weeks old & 12 hours by 3 months old... & for now, knowing how to plan my day. It would make me crazy if I were running around trying to get things done not knowing what was coming next with the babies. That just seems chaotic & Babywise really does just make sense to me. I honestly don't think I would survive without it. I didn't go into this plan blind; I was introduced to "Babywise" by my sister-in-law, Jennie Jo, who has had sucess with it with her 3 children. I also have many other friends & family members who have tried it & it worked for them. I would never do something that would hurt my babies. They are getting enough to eat. I know that because of the 3 things all moms look for to determine if they eat enough: wet diapers, poopie diapers & weight gain (check, check, check!) And they're definitely cuddled, kissed & loved on as much as any baby could handle!

I will say this, it may not be for everyone, although I do wish more people would give it a shot. I am a firm believer, though, that a stressed mommy is not good & if you tried it & it was just too much for you to think about, I would say do what works for you. I'm not going to be ignorant enough to say one plan is right for every one or every baby. But for me, especially with twins, it's a must. I really would encourage all of my mommy friends to at least look into it so you can be informed. And like I said, use your brain. I follow it about 80%. I don't think anything out of a book should be followed 100% (with the exception of the scriptures, of course! ha!). And if you have any questions, let me know. Oh, & you CAN start with an older baby.

Ok, enough of that. I have to tell you one more thing. My wonderfully talented friend, & first Rick's College Roommate, Diana, has started a business called Baby Bumpkins. They make DARLING hair clips for little girls & have just started doing t-shirts. Check them out by clicking on this button:

Whew-- told you this was a long one... that's all for now! (Oh, & to answer another question, I have time to blog because I am attached to a machine named the "Ugly Baby" 8-10 times a day. In case you're confused, I pump & bottle feed Nathan & Alexa!)

Comments

Ok, first of all I love your post. I love the video, so cute. Not every baby goes by the book of course and there are some days where Kylee would need more sleep and get off schedule b/c of growth spurts or need more to eat, etc, etc. But that's the beauty of PDF! I'm glad it's working out so great. You will love it. One bad thing for us is that Kylee doesn't like to sleep in our arms. Sometimes she has fallen asleep in our arms but will only sleep about 20 min's or so. I'm sure it's b/c we don't rock her to sleep and we just stick her in her crib wide awake. But of course, every baby is different. Maybe she's just like that?

I knew you blogged while pumped, I saw your lap top next to the ugly baby. Such a multi tasker. You're such a good mom for pumping, breast feeding, blogging and doing them a favor by reading Babywise. Go Alisha!

Long post=long comment, sorry!
Andrea Dent said…
Yeah for routine! Seriously, I liked your blog. I completely agree that it works for some, and not so well with others. We tried it on Kayla, and it was not the right thing for her. So we had to find what worked. But with Preston, his is thriving on the whole eat, play, sleep routine. He loves it, and I love...so we are happy! I don't follow it 100% like you said, but I follow the general approach they give. I'm glad you are getting some sleep! And I'm in love with Nathans hair! Preston is jealous!
Daniel said…
These are the chairs: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2919623

They're great. A friend who has twins recommended 'em to us. YOu can also prop a bottle while you feed the other child (which of course some people frown on, but its not like we're propping the bottle then running around not paying attention!)

WE're also becoming babywise...we were told about it and read about it during the pregnancy. We're putting the babies to sleep after the 10 PM feeding, they're awaking once around 2:30 - 3:00 AM for feeding, and then we sleep till 6:30 or 7 AM. Not TOO shabby for 4 week olds!
Anonymous said…
I am totally w/ you on the Baby Wise. I followed it some too. Didn't agree w/ ALL of it, but used a lot of the ideas. A schedule was a must for me too! I think w/ multiples you HAVE to be on a stricter schedule or else you would go insane! At least I would have. :)
Okay and I LOVE the clips!! I WILL be ordering the fall ones for my girlies. Thanks for the info!
P.S. I can't get over all of Nathan's dark hair! Where did that come from?! So cute! They are both just adorable!
Bekah said…
Your babies are too cute! And WE LOVE BABYWISE! It totally keeps me sane and I always like to recommend it, but have found that it's a taboo topic with some, like you said. Anyway, I'm glad it's working out and that all is going well!
Anonymous said…
I didn't do Babywise but I did use Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's all about routine as well. It's controversial also which I don't really understand. It totally worked for me and the kiddos. I would've gone crazy w/o it. Good for you in getting an early start. You'll be so much happier in the end. The babies are ADORABLE!
chelsea said…
amen about babywise, i used it on both girls and will again for the new one. they were both sleeping 8 hours byt 7 weeks or so. it was awesome and kept me sane for sure. i know it isn't always easy to keep them on a schedule and i applaud you for doing it with twins.. it's so worth it! my mom was horrified by it though, she couldn't believe i was waking the baby so that she could eat, how terrible of a parent am i huh? i'm so glad you and the babies are doing well, i can't get enough of those kicking baby legs, they are so cute!
Amy said…
You of course know that I totally agree with you on Babywise. Ok I can't believe how big they are getting and so fast too! Will loves this video especially Nathan's doggie shirt and Alexa's bow.When I ask him to say Nathan guess what he says, "No Way" and when I ask him to say Alexa, "Now Way". Are you surprised. But we just grin and grin at these beautiful growing babies every time we get to see them. Thanks for posting so often! Love you!
Craner Family said…
I wish I knew about Baby Wise with Cambri because it would have saved my first-time-mommy life. Zac is doing really well on it and we're all back to our insane lives again. things were getting too normal...ha! I think I got Alexa's hair things from your friend...I'm not sure.
Yes, you can tell Kylee. She's ok with being a centerfold.
Trenda said…
It's amazing how fast they grow! I used baby wise for both of my kids (about 80 % like you) and I really liked it! Could never unerstand the moms who feed their babies every 30 minutes of so, no matter where they are or what they are doing. They just think, oh, they are crying, they must be hungry . . . um, maybe they are just tired! Anyway, I'm all about the mom running the show (most of the time) and not the other way around! :) Good luck!
Trenda said…
Can you tell I didn't proof read that comment before I posted it?! Sorry about all the typos! :0) I'm sure you get the idea!
laura j. said…
Alisha, your babies are so cute! I love Babywise. I have had two way easy babies and I give most the credit to that book! I think it gives me lots of flexibility to do the things I want to during the day, because I know that I can schedule them when my baby is awake and happy. It takes out the guesswork:) Good luck with it!
Diana & CJ said…
You were right this was a long post. Also I too own a copy of Babywise & love it. Thanks for the shout out. Take care,
Di

Popular posts from this blog

Play Date

Introducing...