Neo-Consult

We had our consultation with the Neonatologist from the NICU last night. She was very thorough in giving us all of the things we can expect & common complications with 34 week babies. A lot of what she told us I had already heard. My friend Annalee had her baby girl here last September at 30 weeks & another friend, Bonnie, is a NICU nurse at another hospital. They both gave me a lot of wonderful information. But it was nice to hear it from the doctor & for Sam to hear it all, because I can't remember everything!! Some of the information is overwhelming, thinking of everything that could go wrong. But Dr. Thompson did a great job of reinforcing that these are just possibilities & everything will end up ok. We are at a wonderful hospital that is doing very innovative things in the NICU that a lot of the Neonatology world isn't doing yet. They have so much success, even with babies that are normally not considered viable. I feel blessed to live near a big city with such a strong medical center. Even if these babies come before they should, they'll be just fine!

As for me... I'm just sitting here waiting for Monday's news! I still get a shot at least once each day for the contractions so going home would be interesting & scary... I am really exciting for my mom to come Saturday! Not only will it be great just to have her here, I'm glad she'll get to see what I've been up to these past few weeks. It'll be fun for her to see the monitoring, meet some of my nurses & see my huge belly morph like I have 2 aliens inside me! :)

Just one last note... between the two babies, we get to have fun with hiccups seriously 6 times a day or more! It's funny when it happens while they're being monitored because whether baby boy has them or baby girl has them, baby boy doesn't like it & starts freaking out & doesn't stay on the monitor! The nurses call him a very "reactive" baby... which they think is a good thing but I'm kinda nervous about what that will mean for us when he's outside of my belly!

Comments

Amy and David said…
It is amazing what the NICUs here in Houston can do. Our Kylie definitely should not be here with us and they saved her life--well that and some definite miracles. Best of luck and everything will be just fine.
you are always in our prayers. we love you guys :)
Dr. Thompson is the British lady, right? Karen Thompson? She is older and really on top of things. I really liked the lady doctors there, not the male ones. There is also a Dr. Stafford and she is kind of young. Or she looks young anyway and I'm thinking are you old enough to be a doctor? Dr. Brenda Mcyntire was my favorite and gives lots of info so hopefully she can be your babies doctors for a week. I think they switch every week. I'm glad Dr. Thompson came and talked to y'all, she has a fun voice and I love her coke bottle glasses. :)

Popular posts from this blog

37 Weeks 2 Days

Play Date

Introducing...