32 Weeks + 3 Days -- Things not so great...

I started to write this post last night but a lot has changed since then. I didn't get to finish the post because I was contracting too much (again) & had to be put back on monitors. I had a rough day with contractions on Monday as well but this was much worse. The shots of Tributelene that I get to slow them down if my oral medication isn't cutting it can be given in a series of up to 3 shots, 15 minutes apart. In the past, one has knocked the contractions out. Then I started needing two. Last night, for the first time, I needed three. Unfortunately, that still didn't work so I had to get my IV put back in and get a loading dose of Magnesium Sulfate (the nasty drug). I guess my body has just gotten used to the oral meds & the shots. We knew this would happen; just thought we had more time. The Magnesium was as horrible as I remember.

On top of everything else, I was diagnosed with a liver condition called "Obstetric cholestasis". I started getting really itchy over the weekend, the worse on the bottoms of my feet & palms of my hands. Benedryl didn't even touch it. Dr. Adam ordered some blood work the other night & this is what it came back as. It's something that will go away when I deliver but unfortunately will come back with subsequent pregnancies & if I take an oral contraceptives. The itchiness is not the problem, just the symptom. The cholestasis can cause problems with the babies & even stillbirth. Luckily, because of everything else going on, the babies are being monitored so often that we'll be able to watch them for any signs of distress. But basically, even when I'm not pregnant with twins, I'll always have premature babies & I'll always have high risk pregnancies. I guess I'm sticking with Dr. Adam!

You know, I am so grateful for the guidence I've had from my Heavenly Father through this pregnancy. He has helped me make good decisions. A lot of people, I think, questioned my reasoning for switching to a high risk doctor since so many twin moms are fine with regular OB/GYN's. But I felt really strongly that I would need one & thank goodness I found the best. Dr. Adam has known just what to do in every situation & consider
ing everything, I really owe her a lot. Thank goodness for good doctors who sacrifice so much in their lives to be there for their patients.

To sum everything up, I have 4 strikes against me. First, the kidney stones which have not returned (thank goodness) & hopefully behave until I can get them taken care of after I deliver. The second is the preterm labor which is directly related to the third: aging placentas. Now a fourth thing, the liver issue, which will also be hard on my placentas. With all of these things, I think we can expect these babies soon!

Here are my 32 week pictures... The chart is a picture of the computer when I'm being monitored. The top is the babies' heart rates and the bottom is my contractions. You can see I was having them pretty good when Sam took this picture!

Comments

Hang in there! we love you.
Krissee said…
Thanks for putting things into perspective. I've been crying because I can't get comfortable enough to sleep and here you are just trying to keep your babies healthy, it just shows me I should be more thankful for my blessings. Hang in there, you still look great! I'm sorry that you are having all of these complications. Obviously moving to a high risk doctor was the way to go so I'm glad you are getting good care. Can't wait to see pictures of your little ones, but I hope they hang in there a little longer.
Andrea Dent said…
Ahh! I'm so sorry Alisha! You are amazing! Your attitude is seriously amazing, with all that has been going on! I am still really sick, so that will keep me away until I KNOW that I'm really really over it! Until then, know that you, Sam and the babies are in our prayers!
we love you guys!!!
Anonymous said…
Oh dang it! You had such a good weekend, I was hoping that it would continue. :( We love you and you are doing a great job with all that you are dealing with. It will all be so so worth it when you see and hold those sweet babies in your arms for the 1st time!! Don't you be having these babies while Greg and I are away this weekend! ;) I give you permission to have them on Monday though b/c we will be back. :) Hang in there!! You are amazing! Muah!
Diana & CJ said…
You look pretty great. I was a total nasty mess when I was as far along as you. Thanks for the help. I got it to work & posted my first collage in your honor.
michelledudley said…
we look forward every day to your updates - and add our prayers to yours. each day counts - and it sounds like you are in excellent hands with your ob. you are a great mom already to have such a wonderful attitude when you aren't feeling so great.
hand in there - there's a happy ending!
love michelle dudley
Bekah said…
ALISHA! Thanks for keeping us all updated. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. You, Sam, and your sweet babies continue to be in our prayers! Love you guys!
Trenda said…
Sorry to hear about all the complications! Pregnancy is hard enough without all this added stuff! You are in my prayers! Oh, what is the address there, just in case I want to send you a gift or something! ;)
well that sure sounds like fun. I'm glad the itchyness is gone. Let us know how the u/s goes today. I'm curious! Hey, if your babies go home on a monitor, please call us. Call us b4 you have your appt with the monitor company. Please feel free to call us anytime if you have any questions or wonder if they did the same thing with Kylee, etc. Hopefully I get Pepper today...and get Roxy up. Did I tell you Dixie "soothes" Kylee? Hopefully your puppies will do the same with your babies. Dixie doesn't care much for Kylee but if Kylee sees Dixie she will stop crying and just stare at her. I love it. So if I can get your dogs over here, hopefully Kylee will NEVER cry. ;)
Tamma said…
We are praying for you. If you need some company I can come down to Houston. My sister lives a few minutes from the hospital, so I'd be close by and my kiddos could play with their cousins.

Blessings,
Tamma and Family
Rachel B said…
Crazy stuff! I love the pictures. I am praying for you.
Amy and David said…
Hey Alisha, I left a message on Sam's cell phone, but I have no other way to get ahold of you. We have a ton of Preemie sized baby girl clothes from when Kylie was in the NICU. If you would like them just say the word and they are yours. You can email me at amydpomeroy@yahoo.com
Good luck. We are praying for you and your little bundles.

Popular posts from this blog

37 Weeks 2 Days

Play Date

Introducing...