One down, one to go

Some of you may know that I still swaddle my babies. Weird, I know. Most babies that are swaddled don't stay that way past 6 weeks or so. My babies are now 8 months old. They just slept so much better swaddled & fell asleep so fast so we continued to find new ways to keep them all wrapped up. Currently, I'm the only person who can swaddle them tight enough that they can't get their arms out.

I've stressed about this fact on many occasions. I know it's not normal for an older baby to be swaddled so I've tried several times to not do it. It was a disaster each & every time. One major pro towards swaddling is that I can put them down for a nap anywhere. And I mean anywhere, even on the floor. Bed to them is not their crib. When they get swaddled, they know it's time to go to sleep. The big con to swaddling them still is that I can't leave them with anyone when they'd need to be put down for a nap because they will wake up if they get their arms out.

Well Nathan has been sick & last Friday he was so darn tired I decided he'd sleep wherever. So I put him down in his crib with the swaddling blanket just wrapped around his body. It took him a while to fall asleep, but he did & he took a good nap. The first night I didn't swaddle him, he slept till 5 am, when he woke up screaming. So I swaddled him & he slept till 7am. The next couple of nights, he has slept all night without it. (Yippee!) It's good for him to have his arms out because 1) he can sometimes find his own binky & 2) if he wakes up early he can quietly play with his soft toys in his bed. This morning he even fell asleep in just 5 minutes. (Tip for moms: I often put one of them down for a nap in the pack-n-play so they're used to sleeping there. Then it's no big deal when we travel!)

Yesterday we tried not swaddling Lexie. Did NOT go well. I think she still likes it too much. Like Nathan, I hope the transition will be easy for her when she is ready. It's not the end of the world that she's older & still being swaddled. It's not hurting her. And as I've always said, a 5 year old is not going to want to still be swaddled. So I'll keep wrapping her up like a burrito until she's ready to be free. Don't call Child Services on me. I promise that she's fine.

Comments

Lori Hurst said…
I like the 'wrap her up like a burrito' comment!

I think my insomnia just might be due to the fact that I cannot swaddle myself!
Alisha said…
LOL-- we'll call me & I'll come on over & swaddle ya! I'm a pro!!
Jenae said…
I love watching you swaddle them- it really is a talent! Such cute little Burrito Babies... And I totally think a 5 year old would still want to be swaddled, especially if she's cute and dainty like little Miss Alexa- you better watch out! :)
Tiffany said…
My sister had to swaddle her baby that tight! She too would wake up if her arms got out. And actually, I swaddled Chloe up until a month or two ago. I also thought it was time to not have to swaddle her! She did great, as long as she could pull the blanket up over her face. That's how she knows it's time for sleep! I also like your idea with the pack-n-play! I have done that with both my girls and it's worked great! Your babies are adorable! I can't wait to meet them, maybe next time you're in Utah?! :)
chelsea said…
i think that's truly amazing that they still swaddle. we don't have any blankets big enough for swaddling. my kid sucks his fingers... i'd much rather he prefered to be swaddled. i think you feel guilty about it, well just knock that off right now. it's no big deal! they'll learn when they and you are ready too!
Court said…
I say go with what works!
Doug and Shayla said…
I swaddled my kids forever too, especially Hailey. I think that preemies really benefit from it and it makes them feel secure. She wanted to be swaddled even when she was close to one year old. (Hard to find blankets big enough at that point) Your kids are adorable. We should get together when you're in town.
Liz said…
Joseph JUST barely got out of the Burrito Baby stage and he is 9 months. So I don't think it's weird. :) I was the only one who could do it too. It really was a "special talent" of mine. Now he just grabs the satin binding of his blanket and holds it to his face. It's so cute! Congrats and good luck!
Laura said…
I don't think I've every actually seen a baby swaddled like that. She looks so cute!

And I'm with Courtney - whatever works!
The Oldroyd's said…
I swaddled Brooklynn FOREVER. She was probably about 1 years until she was done. I love it! Cameron is the same if he's not swaddled he can't sleep. Thanks for all the tips though. I haven't thought of trying the Pack n play to help them sleep anywhere.
Thanks!
Jennifer said…
I should probably go back to swaddling Claire. She needs hugs all night long. She was my longest swaddler, but she was swaddled all day, too. She just cried when she wasn't. All her pictures are a grumpy face sticking out of a cocoon.
Jeff and Nanci said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff and Nanci said…
I'm laughing so hard. Gracie loved to be swaddled too. She did it til she was too big to fit in her blankets. But that picture of Alexa is so freak'in cute. I'm still laughing. I use the play and pack at my mom's. She sleeps there really good and at Susan's in the crib she has. She's a self soother(Thumb)so I think that's why she can sleep in different places, but it has to be a crib of some sort or she won't go to sleep.
Liz said…
Alexa looks like a pencil with a baby head eraser!
awww, that is so cute. I think in this one book it says some babies prefer to be swaddled and they will wean themselves when they are ready. I hear ya about it being a con with other people watching them for nap time though. But, whatever works. And you could always put them down for a nap then quickly run out and do your errands or whatever. I used the pack 'n play a lot so Kylee would get used to it and sleep in both places but it didn't start working until she was 10mo's. I'm just glad she will sleep in both now, whew! Such a good idea, I loved that pointer in babywise. I just wish it would have had a disclaimer that I'm not a bad mom and it may take some babies longer than others to like it.
Hey Alisha!!! It was so great to hear from you, I appreciate it more than you know =) Krissee actually introduced me to your blog right after her babies were born. I stayed with them a couple days to help out and I remember us both checking on you and your babies praying for you all! I can't believe how big and CUTE they've gotten! You're such a great mommy!
Katy said…
Yeah for Nathan!!! Guess what...Your super slacker friend just put the package in the mail so hopefully you'll get it soooooon! Sorry it took so long. :)
Bennett sleeps better when he is all swaddled It makes me crazy robin wraps him so tight but I think he likes it and he sleep so much better and longer. but sometimes when robin isn't looking and after bennett has fallen asleep I loosen it just a bit.

Popular posts from this blog

37 Weeks 2 Days

Play Date

Introducing...