My four kids
Our youngest dog, Pepper, warmed up to the kids right away. She's always been ever so patient with them & they have learned to be so soft (most of the time) with her & give lots of kisses. Pepper is ever the snuggler & has taken advantage of Alexa being sick by snuggling right up to her to watch PBS cartoons each morning.
Roxy, on the other hand, didn't take to the babies right away. For most of their lives, she has observed from a distance, never letting them get close enough to touch. But things are starting to change. She actually lets them pet her occasionally. Much to my surprise, I looked over at the couch where Nathan was sitting yesterday to find her on her back, begging him for a belly rub. This, my friends, is major progress. She was content to lay there by him, that is, until he started poking her in the eye. Then she was done.
I know dogs are not for everyone but I am so glad that I have them if only for the reason that it has taught my kids to love & be kind to animals. The only complaint I've had about my dogs is their barking. Well, we've fixed that problem by FINALLY purchasing 2 of these:
That's right-- bark collars. Before all you PETA supporters get your panties in a bunch, they don't hurt the dogs. It gives them a little shock equivalent to what we would feel if we touch someone's shoulder & get an electric shock. And it has a safety feature so if they're barking from danger it won't keep shocking them over & over. It's just enough to quiet the annoying barking. Now if they just developed some "humane" way of stopping kids from whining... life would be PERFECT!

Roxy, on the other hand, didn't take to the babies right away. For most of their lives, she has observed from a distance, never letting them get close enough to touch. But things are starting to change. She actually lets them pet her occasionally. Much to my surprise, I looked over at the couch where Nathan was sitting yesterday to find her on her back, begging him for a belly rub. This, my friends, is major progress. She was content to lay there by him, that is, until he started poking her in the eye. Then she was done.

I know dogs are not for everyone but I am so glad that I have them if only for the reason that it has taught my kids to love & be kind to animals. The only complaint I've had about my dogs is their barking. Well, we've fixed that problem by FINALLY purchasing 2 of these:

That's right-- bark collars. Before all you PETA supporters get your panties in a bunch, they don't hurt the dogs. It gives them a little shock equivalent to what we would feel if we touch someone's shoulder & get an electric shock. And it has a safety feature so if they're barking from danger it won't keep shocking them over & over. It's just enough to quiet the annoying barking. Now if they just developed some "humane" way of stopping kids from whining... life would be PERFECT!
Comments