Sweet & Savory Sunday: The Best Banana Bread Ever
I'm in a blogging funk. My goal for this week is to post something about my family since this is, in fact, my family journal, not a cooking blog.
This week's edition of S&SS brings you a recipe I've worked on over the years. It originated from a cookbook my grandma's church put together years and years ago (aren't those the best?). I've tried other banana breads that claim greatness but always return to mine. I've tweaked and perfected it over the years & its divine.
The Best Banana Bread EVER
Ingredients:
1/4 c. Butter
1 c. Sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
3 lg or 4 med bananas, very ripe, mashed
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. cold water
1/4 c. Buttermilk
Cinnamon/Sugar mixture
Directions:
Also, I don't ever add chopped nuts because Sam doesn't like them but I'm sure they'd be delicious!
Enjoy this sweet treat!
This week's edition of S&SS brings you a recipe I've worked on over the years. It originated from a cookbook my grandma's church put together years and years ago (aren't those the best?). I've tried other banana breads that claim greatness but always return to mine. I've tweaked and perfected it over the years & its divine.
The Best Banana Bread EVER
Ingredients:
1/4 c. Butter
1 c. Sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
3 lg or 4 med bananas, very ripe, mashed
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. cold water
1/4 c. Buttermilk
Cinnamon/Sugar mixture
Directions:
- Melt butter & cool. Pour into main mixing bowl & add sugar, eggs, bananas & vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt & baking powder.
- In another small bowl, dissolve soda in cold water then add the buttermilk.
- Add buttermilk mixture & dry ingredients a little at a time to the main mixing bowl, alternating between the two.
- Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Generously sprinkle unbaked loaves with the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, tent the loaves with foil, then bake another 10-15 min until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 min. then cool on a wire rack. When still a little warm, wrap in tin foil.
Also, I don't ever add chopped nuts because Sam doesn't like them but I'm sure they'd be delicious!
Enjoy this sweet treat!
Comments