BIG BIG Day

Today was the day... the day that the binkys went away.  I debated about taking them away before Max was born.  Decided against it.  At that point, they were old enough to know they were gone but too young to understand why I took them.  Then we decided we would take them away after they turned 2.  I still felt like their comprehension wasn't quite there.  But I realized a couple of weeks ago that they were finally at the point where they had a better grasp of cause & effect.  So it was time.

I am a huge fan of binkys and so are all 3 of my kids.  Ever since they were about 15 mo old, I've slowly been limiting binky time more & more.  In the past 6 months or so, the only time they have their binkys is in their bed.  But they LOVE them.  Nathan would giggle when I would give him his.  I also enjoyed the fact that they could wake up & find their binky & go back to sleep.  But we had to give them up at some point...

I've been preparing them for a week or so that the binkys were going bye-bye soon.  We talked about it a lot.  When I put them down for their nap today, I made a big deal about it being the last time they'd have them for bed.

When we left for the store, I gave them their binkys to enjoy for just a bit longer.

We went to Toys R Us (their first visit ever) & went to the Dora isle.  I couldn't BELIEVE some of those Dora dolls were $45!  We stuck with the $10 version & Alexa was very happy with her choice.  Then we went to the Thomas section.  OH MY.  They have a train table set up!  We had sort of a meltdown because that's what Nathan wanted.  Yeah... not gunna happen.  I had to grab a few choices of the little train sets & take them to another isle so he could pick AWAY from the train table.  Then he seemed fine with the choice.

When we went to check out, they gave the checker their toy then I told them if they wanted the toy back, they had to give her the binkys.  So they did, she threw them away, and we left the store.  I about had an anxiety attack... seriously... my chest was tight.  I was shaky.  There was NO going back. And Nathan & Alexa loved their new toys.


Then bed time came... Alexa is TOTALLY fine.  No tears.  No whining.  She gets it.  Binkys are gone.  Nathan was a whole different story.  You should have seen the sad face he made when he realized just what he had done today.  Oh and the tears... and the begging.  He experienced TRUE sorrow.

They're both asleep now but I know it will be an early morning.  I have confidence they they'll return to their normal sleep habits soon.

Max also loves his binky.  As hard as this had been with Nathan, I'll still let him have his until this age too.  It works to well to mess with until you absolutely have to!
Another thing that makes me sad about giving it up is that they're just getting SO BIG.  Alexa is potty trained.  Nathan will be soon... BUT they're still in cribs and NOT climbing out.  I'll hang on to that one as long as I can!

P.S. This is the conversation I'm hearing from N & A's room:

N: Waaaaaaaaaaa! Where binky go? Where binky gooooooo???
A: IT AT DA STORE Brover.
N: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
A: BROVER-- no more binky! Bye Bye Binky! Have Percy!

Comments

Trenda said…
Oh, how sad. That would be hard to deal with. Hang in there mom! :) I never had to deal with getting rid of the binky. Cade never got that into his and Ambree found her thumb very early on. I thought that would be a struggle and she would be sucking her thumb in first grade, but she stopped cold turkey when she was about 2. She was sick and so stuffed up that she couldn't breath out of her nose for like 4 days, which caused her not to suck her thumb because then she couldn't breath at all. She has never sucked it again! I actually tried to get her to suck it again because she was such a good sleeper and once she stopped sucking her thumb she was a horrible sleeper. Hopefully you have better luck with that with your kids. :)
Oh sad day! Ellie was my only paci baby but she took it a bit like Alexa.

Just a tip if you did want a train table. We looked and looked and I could never pull the trigger at the consignment sales (they still wanted $50 and they were well loved). We actually bought ours at Target (the Circo brand) when they had them on sale for Christmas and only paid $60 for it. One side is activity table the other the train table and it has bins under it to store all the stuff. Ellie and Turner LOVE it.
Carrie said…
I totally feel you on this one. It is like the end of an era not just because they got rid of their binkies, but because they are growing up. :(

Way to stick to your guns. Great job!
the fellers said…
I still think that that conversation between them while going to bed is the best! I am glad you wrote that down! It will get better, he will get it!
That's so adorable--their conversation at bedtime. At least Alexa was there to remind him and give him comfort. : )
I remember when I finally took the binky from Jackson. I knew he was good with transitions, but I was SO sure he'd throw a huge fit over his binky. I told him that the binky told me he had to leave so he could go help another little boy and that Jackson would have his doggie to comfort him now at bedtime, and JT was okay with that! He never cried, and I was completely surprised. I'm sure Braden will be completely different. He has way too much passion for his binky right now. haha Loved the story, Alisha. I hope little Nathan feels better soon. : )
Ally said…
Oh I am so teary right now!! You tell Nathan to come see me and I'll give him back the binki!! That is soooo sad! My first was a thumb sucker until she was in kindergarten and finally we got her to stop. My 2nd and 3rd was a no go with any of those types of comforts. My last....and worst....was a total binkie lover. But one day we were at the store and she somehow dropped it. She was almost 2. It happened to be the last one and I didn't realize that it was gone. So...that night no binkie. She went to sleep and I just never bought a new one. Although, she's now almost 4 and she found one this morning that a baby left here that I had hidden in a drawer and she was so excited that she had found "her" binkie. She sucked it for a while and then spit it back out and said that it was gross.

Good luck with the poor little guy. Give him some extra loves, he'll need them.
Our Family said…
what a cute idea! I hope your little guy gets used to it soon... for all your sakes :) It's so cute that Alexa is there comforting him though!
Holy Heck, cutest baby talk ever! Well, not really baby anymore I guess...can't believe how big they're getting!! They are way too cute, and smart! Congrats on the potty training with Alexus, that's big!! I'll have to get some pointers soon :)

Popular posts from this blog

37 Weeks 2 Days

Play Date

Introducing...