1 Down, 2 to go...


I now only have TWO kids in diapers instead of THREE! Alexa potty trained in about a day & a half-- GO ALEXA! As happy as I am to start to widdle down the amount of diaper changes I do a day, I don't think I fully grasped when I started on Tuesday how hard it is to have a newly potty trained toddler-- and we haven't even left the house yet!

Seasoned moms, I need your help. Alexa obviously potty trained really fast. I haven't had her in a diaper since Tuesday morning, not even for bed. But she won't go to sleep. No nap the first day-- just kept asking to go potty. Then at night she kept asking to go potty. It took over 2 hours for her to finally go asleep (even with no nap). The next day she napped but only out of pure exhaustion. Same deal last night-- and today, wouldn't nap just SCREAMED. Tonight was more of the same-- lots of screaming. She had no accidents today & went potty soon before I put her to bed so I only got her out to go once and then let her cry.

This girl is my good sleeper. She has ALWAYS gone down for bed & naps easily. She even asks to go to nigh-night before its time. So while it may seem that she keeps asking to go potty just to get out of going to bed... I don't think so. So my next thought is that maybe she's so scared of having an accident in her bed. But she has stayed dry for 2 nights & her 3 hour nap yesterday.

Has this ever happened to any of you? If so-- did it get better? What do ya'll think? Should I just give it more time? Put her in a diaper at night & naps? If I do that, will it make her regress?? HELP! I'm DESPERATE!

Comments

I'm not seasoned by any means, but in my opinion, I think it's maybe just a new exciting thing for her and once it becomes not so new and exciting any more it won't consume her thoughts so much any more.???? Good luck!
Megan said…
If she can get her undies on and off by herself (which she should get really quickly if she doesn't already know it), just put her potty in her room with her. That way, if she has to go, she can do it without being afraid of an accident. Or just put her in a pull up (I would recommend NOT a diaper) and tell her they are night-time undies. (or panties, I guess. She is a girl). They even have a little thing on the pullups where the picture fades if she pees in them, so you can still reward her for keeping them dry. That is all.
chelsea said…
I concur with both comments. The newness will wear off, just try to be as consistent as you can in the mean time. It's never too early to reason with her too... make sure she tries to go before nap then tell her that she went and she won't need to go again until she wakes up... Good luck and way to go Alexa!
The newness will wear off but you will always wonder if they really have to go to the bathroom or if they've just spotted a new one. For us the night time has become a stall tactic when they aren't ready to go to bed. I too am hoping that starts to go away.
Rachelle said…
hmmm...you could ask her to wear a diaper at nap/bed time. see what she says. daphne told me no and said that she wore underwear now. and if alexa doesn't want too wear a diaper while sleeping then i say just put her to bed. if she has an accident she'll learn from it. ya know? that was my attitude with daphne. and she never had an accident while she slept.

so hard to know what's right. good luck!
Krystal said…
With the nighttime training, I read that they will naturally start waking up dry soon after they are day-time trained and it doesn't even need to be stressed, so that's what I did with Rachel. (A lot of my friends gave the nighttime training a month or so after the day-training was conquered, too.)

Rachel graduated to panties in about a day, too. But we did do pull-ups at night (I called them special nighttime panties that keep her dry.) She is such a deep sleeper, so I felt that it was for the best. She woke up wet every night for a while, and a few weeks later it just clicked and she was suddenly dry every morning. Now she wakes up dry after sleeping 12 hour nights. I don't think they regress if you put them in pull-ups at night because they are not even conscious. Less trauma for you and her. Good luck with whatever you do!
lindsi said…
I would also say Pull-Ups. It sounds like she is stressed about peeing in her sleep...maybe she thinks she will get in trouble if she has an accident in her bed??? I did Pull-Ups with both my kids at bed & naps during potty training and they were usually always dry. I also used Pull-ups in the car and when going out for the first little while since public potties SCARED my kids to death. Alli has just gotten over the fear of BIG potties and she has been trained forever. Pull-ups saved me many times when we were stuck in traffic or just couldn't get to a bathroom quite in time.

But, I agree with Megan...don't go back to diapers...use Pull-ups!
Anonymous said…
First off... way to go, Alexa (and mom)! :) S & K were really easy to potty-tain too, which was nice. Turned out to not be as bas as I had thought it was going to be... thankfully! :)

I never had this sleeping problem, b/c I potty-trained right at 3 years old, so S & K were already done with naps. I do think that it's the "newness" of wearing panties that is making her not nap/sleep as well... hopefully that will wear off soon. I, personally, would not go back to diapers or pull-ups, since she is doing so well w/o them. I would hate for you to start doing that and then have a hard time getting her out of them... ya know? I would maybe put a towel or newspaper down on the floor in her roomm and her potty... maybe that would help having it right there?? Good luck!!
Anonymous said…
Sorry for all my typo's... I clearly don't read over my material b/f sending it. :)
The Oldroyd's said…
I am not seasoned, just potty trained one child and scared to death to potty train Cameron. I hear boys are more difficult. I agree with most things said. She is just excited about it and probably worried she will have an accident. I think that it might be more reasuring for her to have the potty in her room at night (even if she doesn't use it.) I definately would NOT put her in a diaper or pull ups at night or nap. I did the same as you I went 100% to panties for Brooklynn. In my opinion pullups are the same as a diaper and if they think they can go a little it defeats the purpose. Brooklynn never wet the bed at night except once when she had her asthma attack and was coughing so bad. Since Alexa is so aware she will probably do fine. I would just keep reasuring her, maybe even do a treat or prize after night and naps for doing so good and making naps and bedtime more exciting that she isn't scared. Good luck, but she is doing great. Good luck with stores, Brooklynn only had accidents by default in the car cause the store bathrooms were so dirty she wouldn't sit on them. They do have toilet seat covers that I bought and would take in my purse that helped. (Maybe Alexa isn't a clean freak like my child though.)
Alisha said…
Thanks SO much everyone! I do like the suggestion to have her potty in her room except... she's still in a crib :) I'm not ready for wandering toddlers at night. We have a small one story & I keep a monitor nearby so I can hear when she wakes up. I go back & forth about the pull ups-- I know she doesn't need them because she wakes up dry but I wonder if they'd give her less anxiety. I've never gotten mad at her for having an accident so it has to be all internal. I'm going to give it another day or two with naps & nighttime.

THANKS AGAIN!
Tiffany said…
Maddie was the same way, she was potty trained with no accidents, through the night too, by day 2 or 3. It seems like it was right around that time she quit taking naps, but she was SO tired, I could tell she really needed them. She quit napping for maybe even 2 months, but I needed that time so it was her quiet time and I let her watch a movie. After 2 months (or so), I had had it. She NEEDED a nap! So I cut off the TV, put her back in bed, and now here she is, turned 4 years old and still takes a nap. Probably something totally different, but I would just keep trying. The screaming is hard to hear, but I'd stick with it. And your choice, but I wouldn't go back to diapers or pull ups, even at night, since she's doing SO well without them. Just my opinion, I'm definitely no expert! I'm sure it will be quite some time before we start Chloe potty training. Way to go with Alexa!!! :)
the fellers said…
I dont know if you have solved this, but you could put her in a pull up at night....and explain to her that this is there JUST IN CASE she has an accident and that it is ok if she does. And then maybe after a week or so of her not having accidents and seeing she can do it, maybe she will then go to sleep?? I dont know, just an idea...I didnt have this problem with Scoty, but I think that is what I would try...

Popular posts from this blog

Play Date

Introducing...