Move over David Beckham... Edward Cullen is my new love!

For those you who know me, you know that I have what you might call an addictive/obsessive personality. Ice cream doesn't stay around long because it "calls to me" from the freezer, if I watch a TV show from the beginning, I can't give it up no matter how dumb it is, etc... Well the same goes for books. If I like a book, I read it until it's DONE. Nothing short of necessary activities can pull me away from a good... no... an ENTHRALLING book. I had heard whisperings of a book called "Twilight." By an LDS author, love story, vampires... blah blah blah. I was like, "Uh... I'm not reading a book about Vampires.... Seriously..."

Well, my smugness is gone and I'm SMITTEN. While in Dallas this past week (pictures coming soon) I casually picked up a book that my sister-in-law had yet to get to. (Imagine that... a newborn and 2 other children... why wouldn't she have time for books?!?!) I was hooked from the first page. I started reading Twilight Saturday afternoon. I was done with it by Sunday afternoon. I picked up the 2nd book, New Moon, and was done with it by Monday night at midnight. (Yes, I still had to get up at 5 am Tuesday... and yes I am crazy, I know.) I was so tired at school Tuesday morning I was nauseous. But I still had to get my hands on the 3rd book, Eclipse.

After a mass email to all of the teachers in school produced no results other than, "You can get on the waiting list at the library ..." (BOOOOOOO!) , I had a brilliant idea! The Twilight Series was written for young adults... and who was sitting in my very classroom but 25 young adults!!! So I casually asked them if any of them happened to own the 3rd book and if they would kindly let me borrow it. :) So it's sitting on my desk (I forgot it at school) unopened. I was very good and worked instead of read because I knew I would become obsessed again and never get school stuff done. I can't wait to read it!

So, I'm a little insane, but the point of this post is to encourage you all to pick it up. I'm very impressed by the author, Stephenie Meyer and her story. I know there are people out there who don't like it for whatever reason, but I really (obviously) enjoyed it, as do many people I know. These books have won many awards and my only regret is that I started reading the series before it was finished being written. I know it'll be a long year till that fourth book comes out... Here we go again (Harry Potter). So go pick it up! The books are surprisingly thick but it's a quick read and you'll fall in love with Bella and Edward! Happy reading!

Comments

Trenda said…
Wow! You are a fast reader! I thought reading Twilight in a little under a week was good. . . you do sound a little more obsessed than me though! Funny how so many people are in love with Edward . . . hello people . . . he is a VAMPIRE!! LOL!
Amy Christine said…
I read Twilight a few weeks ago and loved it too. I'm reading New Moon now and I'm not 1/2 way through it yet, but I have to say that so far I'm all about Jacob over Edward. Tomorrow night we should discuss (at GNO).
The Yosts said…
I too just read the series- addictive! Ahhh Edward....
Loved the first book, 2 was ok- too much Jacob for me (It's Edward I want-Lol), and 3 was good but the first was by far was the best. Did you hear they are going to make a movie of it?! And yes, is it next fall yet so we can find out what happens next?!
Rachelle said…
All I have to say is I love Edward! Can't wait until you finish Eclipse. Hope you enjoy it!
Alisha said…
Trenda- I'm sure you not being able to read the book in a day like has SOMETHING to do with the fact that you have 2 small children! And yes, Edward is a vampire but I still love him!

Steph-- I'm actually worried about the movie... I mean... you could totally and easily mess this movie up simply by the wrong casting. HOW CAN YOU CAST SOMEONE PERFECT ENOUGH TO BE EDWARD!!?!?!? So we'll see...

Rachelle-- I didn't keep my promise to myself... I read another chapter when I got home last night and a bit this morning... but I didn't bring it to school!! So it'll take me the afternoon to finish at least. I'll call ya!!
Craner Family said…
The series is on my list of books to read...I think I'll just go out and buy them. If I don't like them (not likely) I'll sell them. Reading is my obsession and addiction too. Last night (and most nights), I stayed up until 2:00 am reading...We should share book lists! I LOVE young adult fiction.
chelsea said…
My parents are coming to visit in a couple of weeks and my mom is bringing the books. I anticipate a total obsession and a complete reading of the books in a week, just like you. Yes I am too cheap to buy them and the waiting list at the library is long. Where can I get my own army of teenagers?
Alisha said…
Chels-- oh you'll love them, I know you will. I finished the 3rd book yesterday! I forgot to tell you-- I have a student in my class this year that reminds me of you. Her name is Megan. You probably wouldn't look at her and think she looks like you but there's something about her... I can't put my finger on it!
Diana & CJ said…
Hi it's me Di
It's been a while I miss our good talks.
k So I started reading these stupid books (by stupid I mean I can't put it down) I havn't cleaned done laundry, made a real dinner Kenidee is in her jammas all day... but so am I so who cares right. I stay up all night and I can't sleep because I want to know what is going to happen. I wont let myself start the third one till I get the 2 wedding albums done I need to.
Doug and Shayla said…
Alisha, I absolutely LOVED those books as well. I became quite obsessed as well. I hope you're doing well.
-Shayla

Popular posts from this blog

37 Weeks 2 Days

Play Date

Introducing...